Friday, October 26, 2012
"P is for Poppy" Project
- wc paper or heavy sketch/drawing paper
- scraps of newspaper and/or book pages cut into squares and rectangles
- disk tempera paint
- eye dropper
- white streamers, paper towels, and/or coffee filters
- little square or rectangle of corrugated cardboard
- text printed from computer or by hand
- a large letter "P" stamp (you could do this by hand/computer if you don't have a stamp)
- black pony beads or buttons
- tacky glue
Take your scraps of newspaper or old book pages and glue a few pieces down on your wc paper. This will add a layer of visual interest to our poppy composition.
Paint your background. I chose a light blue made from the white and blue tempera disk. I varied the colour with darker paint at the top and lighter colour at the bottom.
I use large "one use" only brushes I buy at Walmart or the Hardware store. They cost anywhere from $1.00-$2.00 so you can pick up several. They are meant for applying sealer, hence "one use" only but I have used them for years.
Take your streamer and cut off a strip about 8 inches or so. For a class, you will want to pre -cut your streamers.
I like using white streamers, I can paint them and get lots of variation in my colour, so no 2 poppies would be the same.
Streamer and paper towel poppies must be painted after making up the flowers. The streamer and paper towels are a bit delicate to paint on their own. Make sure you dab when applying the paint as they are still quite fragile and you don't want holes.
You then can glue a black pony bead or button into the center.
Place your poppies on your dry background.
Using a pencil sketch out the stems.
Print out or write out the "is for poppy" text.
Paint with a little red paint.
Glue into place.
file folder book using the white streamer sized poppies.
A file folder book on Remembrance Day would be an excellent project to try. We made our stem from black paper strips from paper run thru the shredder.
Woven Bat project. I changed it a bit. We made the wings from paper we painted and then added some plastic wrap on top before it dried. We smooshed it and left it on to form wrinkles. (More details on this technique in this post).
The body paper was still painted and combed. Instead of stringing the wings we used black paper that was run thru the shredder making strips. We then glued these on the wings.
Grade 1 Pumpkin Stacks.
See you next week everyone.