Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring Chickens

I can't believe that Easter is in a week and I haven't posted for over a month!

Well,  I have been neck deep in residencies at several schools but I finally have reached spring vacation time.

Here is a new spring project.  The inspiration came off of pintrest but there is no link just a picture. Thank-you whoever you are!   I have changed it up and tested it with 2 classes of kinders.

They turned out great so I thought I would pass it on to you.


- blue paper or you can paint some white paper blue
- rectangle of white paper about 4x6
- brown, black, white, yellow, green, and orange paint. I used acrylic but you can use liquid tempera.
- pencil and wooden skewer
- small piece of corrugated cardboard
- glue
- googly eyes
- coloured feathers
- sponges
- paintbrush


At school we used blue construction paper but it also looks great on painted blue paper.

I gave the students some black and brown paint and had them paint the 4"x6" piece of paper.

Using a pencil and end of a skewer I had them stamp dots all over the paper with white paint.

Put the 4"x6" paper aside to dry.  With the leftover white paint take a small piece of sponge and sponge on a few clouds on the blue paper.

With a piece of corrugated cardboard dipped in green paint have the kids stamp on some grass.

When the spotted paper is dry have the kids turn it over and draw a line from one corner to the other making a diagonal.

Have them cut on this line.

Glue one of the pieces on the paper just above the grass.  This is the body of the mother hen.

Cut a wing out of the other piece of paper.

Glue into place on the body of the mother hen.

I gave each group of kids 2 sponges. 1 large circle and 1 smaller one.  These are they same sponges I use for stamping snowman.

The kids got to make 2 chicks but here I only added one. Stamp on the body and the head.

Using a triangular piece of sponge and orange paint we stamped on the beaks.

Using a small paintbrush and that same orange paint we painted on some chicken legs.

Glue on the googly eyes and then add a couple of feathers to the top of the mother hen's head.  I cut the ends off so they would fit better.

That's it.

Here is some more recent student work.

Some of the spring trees done by kindergarten.

A few of Grade 4's Inuit whales.

and some of their mixed media owls.

Grade 3's Peruvian masks.  We made our pieces from air dry clay so a bit different from the original post.

The work was just amazing and I can't show it all.  I think it was a record for me as well :
1 month,  702 students, 27 classes, and 37 different projects by the time I was all done.

I'm off to paint in Maui and will hopefully have some great photos for you next time.

Take care everyone and Happy Easter!