Daring Adventures in Paint" by Mati Rose McDonough.
End result, this painted collage and I will be trying this out with Grade5/6 next year I think.
"Daring Adventures in Paint" by Mati Rose McDonough is a new book from Quarry.
- 128 pgs
- soft cover
- roughly 8.5 x 9 inches
- suggested retail $22.99US/$24.99CAN
using silver leaf, spray painting with doilies. transferring sketches onto specific areas of a painting and developing your narrative.
I will be giving away a copy of this book later this week, see the end of this post for details but first let's go thru the painted college using some techniques from Mati.
- canvas, piece of masonite, or paper/cardboard as a base (substrate)
- assorted papers from recycling, junk mail, etc.
- acrylic paint
- alphabet stamps
- craft foam
- scraps of cardboard
- sealer, optional. I like Mod Podge!
Take some craft foam and a piece of corrugated cardboard (or foamboard, or gatorboard). You want it the size of your stamp.
Cut out your design. This is different than the other stamps I make by etching designs in foam with a pencil.
- plain paper
- paintbrush or roller, whatever you have on hand
- acrylic paint
- disposable plate or even newspaper, waxpaper to squeeze your paint onto to load your brush or roller. If I use a plate I will wash it and reuse it again and again.
Keep your stamp as you can use it over and over again.
Some of my edges are cut some torn. I know what colors I want to use in the final piece so I'm choosing very neutral colored papers.
Remember to do the sides if using a board or canvas.
So I cut out the part I want. I then tint it with paint and glue into position.
Add details with more acrylic. Here I'm stamping circles using an old spool dipped in paint.
I added some sharpie and stamped on the word CROW using the R that was already there in the map paper.
Fiddle with it until you are satisfied.
That's it. I love the way I really did not have a plan but the work just came together......this will be a great lesson for the kids!
If you would like to win your own copy of "Daring Adventures in Paint" please do one of the following:
- leave a comment on this post
- like or comment on this link on my Facebook page
- send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
I will be making the random draw on Friday Aug 3rd/12.
In the spirit of the Olympics I am opening this draw up to everyone. Good luck.
Thanks to my friends at Quayside Publications for sponsoring this giveaway.
See you soon.