Well I'm back after our amazing trip to the UK visiting London and Bath as well as Stonehenge. It was very busy as we tried to cram as much sightseeing as possible in and I had absolutely no time for all the sketching and painting I wanted to do. Here is a picture of St. Paul's which I have painted before. The early morning sun came out for about 2 minutes and the whole cathedral seemed to glow.
We have been home for a few days, kids are back in school, and I'm taking a few days to settle back in, clean the studio after the Christmas whirlwind, and plan out the next few months.
First the details:
- soft cover
- 8.5" x 11"
- 130 pages
- suggested retail $24.95 US and $27.95 CAN
- published August 2011
This book is set- up like a student guide from a Master Drawing class. It contains 43 exercises to work you thru not only the basic mechanics of drawing the figure but also how to develop and refine your style.
Some highlights include:
- excellent use of proportion calculations
- exercise #5 where you practice the elements of the face 20 x each at 3 different angles (this is a serious book not just a casual read)
- tips on using yourself as a model to practice foreshortening, etc.
- the Box Method which has you create your own ruler to measure out a box on your page. You then use this ruler to help you create a composition of the figure contained in this box. I can already see the practicalities of using this method to teach the kids at school.
Figure drawing is one of those areas in which artists continually have to practice, refine, and repeat. In fact most artists will continue to attend a figure class (where able) throughout their career. This is a good alternative where you can work through the exercises and then repeat. I plan on working thru all the exercises as increased Figure work is my (as usual)#1 art resolution this year!
So if you are interested in winning your own copy of this book you have 3 ways to enter:
- leave a comment on this post
- email me at email@example.com
- like or comment on this post on my Facebook page
The draw will be on Saturday Jan 14 so you have until Friday 11:59pm to enter.
This draw is open to all Canadian and US residents.
Good luck everyone and hope to see you soon with more art projects from you know, that artist woman....what was her name again?